Naturopathic Medicine is …
“natur-o-” of nature; natural “-pathic” disease or disorder; treatment of disease.
A modern and traditional, natural and scientific, empirical and evidenced based medicine.
Those who practice naturopathic medicine have earned a medical doctorate degree and practice in accordance to the Naturopathic Principles outlined below.
- The Healing Power of Nature – Trust the body’s inherent wisdom to heal itself. Facilitate and augment this ordered and intelligent self-healing process by both nourishing and removing obstacles to recovery.
- Identify and Treat the Cause – Look beyond the symptoms to find the underlying cause of disease.
- Do No Harm – Utilize methods and medicines that minimize the risk of harmful side effects.
- Doctor as Teacher – Educate patients on how to achieve and maintain health. Empower and encourage self-responsibility for health.
- Treat the Whole Person – View the body as an integrated whole in all its physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual dimensions.
- Prevention – Assess risk factors, heredity, and susceptibility to disease. Appropriately intervene to prevent illness.
As a neurofeedback and craniosacral specialist, I focus on balancing and retraining the brain and nervous system. According to the American Psychological Association, stress-related ailments and complaints comprise 75 to 90 percent of all physician office visits. Furthermore, stress is linked to the six leading causes of death – heart disease, cancer, lung ailments, accidents, cirrhosis of the liver, and suicide.
This is because the nervous system is connected to every organ in the human body, and plays a large role in controlling our hormones and immune system. If the nervous system is dysfunctional, health conditions will ensue in a myriad of ways. Nervous system disorders, including stress and mental or emotional disorganization should, therefore, be medically treated in the majority of all disease pathologies.
Many nervous system disorders present as mental and emotional dysfunction and people don’t seek help, but there is a huge physiological and biological component that needs to be addressed. By utilizing concepts of neurology and biology we can work directly with the brain as a physiological system. After all, the brain is an organ just like any other, and its pathologies should be treated medically on a physical level. To enhance these benefits and treat the nervous system from every level (physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual), people often seek counseling from licensed mental health therapists, spend time in nature, or engage in spiritual practices.
To me, working with the nervous system is true naturopathic medicine – by healing the brain, strengthening it, and creating new and more functional patterns, you can achieve optimal performance. As the nervous system touches and regulates everything, you not only treat your whole body, you heal the root cause of disease. As a naturopath I provide safe, effective, and lasting treatment that restores the body’s natural vitality, thereby helping to prevent future disease as well.
Learn more about the services I provide to heal the nervous system.